Introduction of Hydrogen consumption technologies group (fuel cell)
Hydrogen as a clean and efficient energy carrier has a key role in future world energy and in further developed and developing countries carrying out comprehensive programs on application of hydrogen energy. In addition to several applications in various industries, hydrogen using as fuel in both fuel cells and internal combustion engines is very important. As a result of studying the same programs in different countries, showed that long-term policies in energy sector have focused on fuel cell systems as an alternative technology for power plants and transportation.
Because of the energy and environmental crises, policy makers have to replace traditional fossil systems with clean technologies and fuel cell can be a very good option is this process.
According to mentioned issues, a professional group called as "Hydrogen application technologies (fuel cell)" has been established in hydrogen and fuel cell department and comprises of experienced experts in Mechanical Eng., Chemical Eng. and Power Eng.
Main approach of the group are studying, recognizing and evaluating of different types of hydrogen application technologies, especially fuel cells and carry out R&D projects in different fields of hydrogen consumption in order to achieve their technical know-how and localization of them in the country. Also, one of the most important activities of this group is promotion of fuel cell technology development in the country. In this regard, several studies was carried out on developing a national strategy document on fuel cell technology development that finally in the summer of 2007 the " National Strategy of Fuel Cell Technology Development" as a guideline for the development of this technology in the country was approved by the Board of Ministers.
All activities of the group are defined and implemented based on the objectives contained in the above document and operational program strategy document.
Several activities have been conducted in this group that is referred to hereunder:
• Procurement, installation and commissioning of 1.2 kW PEM fuel cell and integrating with the stand-alone pilot plant of solar hydrogen in Taleghan
• Procurement and presentation of 100 educational package of fuel cell to number of schools in order to promote hydrogen energy
• Participation in the management, supervision and financing the project "Feasibility studies and attractive analysis of fuel cell technology and making the strategy of development in the country"
• Accomplishment of Secretariat affairs of Steering Committee of Fuel Cell
• Participation in making the national strategy of fuel cell technology development and following-up to approval of the fuel cell document
• Management and monitoring of developing the operational program of national strategy of Fuel Cell Technology Development
• Implementation of stand-alone lab-scale pilot plant of solar-hydrogen fuel cell system in site Taleghan
• Management and supervision of preparation, printing, publication and distribution of hydrogen and fuel cell magazine
• Managing the setup the Fuel Cell Steering Committee website and updating it
• Management and Supervision of Design and Construction of 5 kW PEM fuel cell in order to achieve technical know-how and use of its produced heat for hot water and space heating, via Isfahan's engineering research Center
• Management, supervision and construction of PEM fuel cell components project
• Management and supervision of the procurement, installation and commissioning of 25 kW PEM fuel cell in Taleghan site.
• Management and supervision of the Feasibility study, designing and construction of single cell SOFC fuel cell in order to achieve technical know-how, via Niroo Institute
• Management and monitoring of "The first National Conference on Hydrogen and Fuel Cell" by University of Science and Technology, in February 2008
• Supporting of theses with a common topic of fuel cell and nanotechnology, co-operation with Fuel Cell Steering Committee and Nanotechnology Committee and supporting of doctoral theses related to fuel cell
• Relationship with academic researchers and receiving their opinions and review strategies to support them and use their experience and expertise in order to achieve the objectives of national development strategy document, including achieving human resources development.
• Determination of technology level of polymer fuel cell technology using TRL techniques in IRAN
• Research on definition, methods and different steps of technology transfer and definition of different levels of technology readiness in order to study the method of co-operation of International Technology consortiums
Future plans of the group
• Design and fabricating of 10kW PEM fuel cell for domestic applications
• Design and fabrication of 5kW solid oxide fuel cell.
• Design and fabrication of membrane electrode assembly (MEA) for PEM fuel cells
• Design and fabrication of various components of PEM fuel cells
• Design and fabrication of various components of solid oxide fuel cells
• Procurement of typical fuel cell systems